Friday, January 27, 2012

The greatest photograph I never took.

It was in the middle of a vibrant street market in one of the squares in Marseilles.

It was of a group of Muslim women, crowded and pressing up against each other, pawing around a 8' x 8' table filled with colorful assortment of undergarments, ranging from push-up bras to strapless numbers, as well as the great diversity of panties from small to smaller, and to smallest.  The banter was highly animated and full of laughter, with women helping other women find that special something, even holding up bras to model.

The light was perfect.  The colors, spectacular.  I could have taken 2 shots without breaking stride.  I knew I could.

If I lifted my camera, it could have become an extremely unpleasant scene very quickly.

So, as I walked by, I lifted the camera to my eye in my imagination alone.  I know my camera like the back of my hand, so I know what would have been where in the frame at the precise moment I would have fired the shutter.  I saw my focus point.

They are beautiful photographs.  I think I like the first one better than the second.  Perhaps, one day, though some as-yet-unknown scientific process, we will be able to create the pictures that live in our memory.  When that day comes, I promise to post it here.  

No comments:

sitemeter

Analytics

analytics