Monday, October 1, 2012

A brief word about creepy photographs.

Untitled
I have, until very recently, taken the world as I found it in front of my lens. My work remains predominantly documentary style.

I'm now engaged in several new creative projects that depart from this otherwise straightforward approach. The above photograph is the first of a new series, Constructed American Dreams.

When I am confronted by an image that I find creepy, my first impulse, for the vast majority of my life, was to blame the creator of the image. The "creepy" photograph operates like a searchlight uncovering things that we would rather not have to reconcile or recognize within ourselves. Why? Because photographs are silent as to their meaning. If you find an image "creepy" that is as much about you as it is about the photographer.

sitemeter

Analytics

analytics