Thursday, February 16, 2012

"Get a good pair of walking shoes and…fall in love."

The Blue Pot Knows, Bainbridge Island, Washington.
When asked for his advice to young photographers, Magnum photographer Abbas responded "Get a good pair of walking shoes and…fall in love."  A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to hang out with a young photographer, a 10 year old boy named Dylan. I did dispense some advice while we went on a photo-walk with his mom. Though I did not suggest that he fall in love, I did mention that appropriate footwear is always a good idea.

Last week, I walked over a 100 block of Manhattan at least 3 times, wandering from the Upper West Side all the way down to Chinatown and Wall Street.  Though I walk every day, being in New York gave me a little extra to keep walking and walking.  I brought two pairs of shoes, a pair of black leather cap toe shoes and my Patagonia Waterproof insulated boots that I live in from October through April.

The advice about getting a good pair of shoes is invaluable.  But why does he say "fall in love?"  I think that it is because love is best pursued on foot.  That way you get a good look at everything on the way to love.

No comments:

sitemeter

Analytics

analytics